The American Red Cross is facing a national blood crisis! This is the most severe blood shortage in over a decade and is creating a huge risk to patient care. Blood product distributions are outpacing blood donations. At times, as much as one-quarter of hospital blood needs are not being met.
Why is this happening? The COVID pandemic has hit the Red Cross, which supplies about 40% of the nation’s blood, very hard. Here are some examples:
· We are now experiencing a 10% decline in the number of people giving blood.
· Schools and colleges have seen a 62% drop in blood drives since the start of the pandemic.
· Many ongoing blood drives have been cancelled due to facility restrictions.
· Staffing limitations are making an impact on active blood drives
· The current Omicron surge in COVID-19 cases is already compounding the already dire situation.
This is truly a crisis. Doctors have been forced to make difficult decisions about who receives blood transfusions and who will need to wait until more products become available. Blood and platelet donations are critically needed now to help prevent further delays in vital medical treatments.
As a highly respected community leader, we are asking you for help:
· Post on social channels to encourage friends, family members, and your constituents to make an appointment to donate blood or platelets this winter. (Here is a link to an image library and be sure to tag us so we can amplify your message)
· Please consider sharing an email message with your network encouraging them to donate blood today.